Open water swimming takes place in outdoor bodies of water such as open oceans, lakes, and rivers. Swimmers can start on the shore or in the water with a small run onto the land to complete the swim. They are usually 1km, 5km, 10km, or sometimes even longer. Popular events can attract quite a lot of people and in conjunction with the timing of most open water meets, mean that events are often a great social occasion. Open water swimming doesn’t require too much prior knowledge of rules and most new people do not need to be registered with an organisation in order to compete.
We are so exciting to announce that the Great Victorian Swim Series (GVSS) will be running for 2021-22 as a scaled back version BUT still an great series to be part of AND it is FREE this year to enter (you will still need to pay to enter individual events).
Checkout their FB announcement
- GVSS list of events: So far there are 8 events announced as part of the Series (
- Point Leo Swim Classic 26 Dec 2021
- Rip View Swim Classic 30 Dec 21
- Danger 1000 15 January 22
- Mornington Twilight 21 Jan 22
- MMAD Australia Day swim 26 Jan 22
- Brighton 6 Feb 22
- Wreck to Reef 12 Feb 22
- Cerberus/Half Moon Bay 26 Feb 22
- Checkout the GVSS FB page for more information and announcements
- The GVSS is a not for profit “club” promoting fitness, fun, camaraderie & competition among swimmers and supporters of the Victorian open water swim community.
While you are at it checkout Casey Seals Open Water Calendar for a comprehensive list of OW swims in Victoria.
And Checkout – Ocean Swims Calendar
Checkout Masters Swimming Australia OW Rules and Policies